The best resource we have found for detailed information on sound barriers is the Noise Pollution Clearinghouse. We recommend the following documents available on their web site:
- A 1980 federal report titled Highway Traffic Noise, that describes the problem and the pros and cons of some solutions, such as sound barriers.
- Highway Traffic Noise in the United States — Problem and Response
- Part 772 of Title 23 of the United States Code — Procedures for Abatement of Highway Traffic Noise and Construction Noise — The federal regulations
Below are links to more additional resources:
- The Connecticut Citizens Transportation Lobby
- ConnDOT: A Guide to Understanding Air Quality and Traffic Noise
- ConnDOT: Document That Provides Details on Noise Barrier Wall
- ConnDOT: State Highway Design Metric Standard Drawings
- ConnDOT: Maximum Permissible Noise Levels for Vehicles
- Consulting Engineers Contract Administration And Design Development Manual
- Connecticut regulations for the Control of Noise
If you are aware of other useful information that this site should provide, please contact us.