Independent Information on Sound Barriers
The best resource we have found for detailed information on sound barriers is the Noise Pollution Clearinghouse. We recommend the following documents available on their web site:
- A 1980 federal report titled Highway Traffic Noise, that describes the problem and the pros and cons of some solutions, such as sound barriers.
- Highway Traffic Noise in the United States -- Problem and Response
- Part 772 of Title 23 of the United States Code -- Procedures for Abatement of Highway Traffic Noise and Construction Noise -- The federal regulations
Below are links to more additional resources:
- The Connecticut Citizens Transportation Lobby
- ConnDOT: A Guide to Understanding Air Quality and Traffic Noise
- ConnDOT: Document That Provides Details on Noise Barrier Wall
- ConnDOT: State Highway Design Metric Standard Drawings
- ConnDOT: Maximum Permissible Noise Levels for Vehicles
- Consulting Engineers Contract Administration And Design Development Manual
- Connecticut regulations for the Control of Noise
If you are aware of other useful information that this site should provide, please contact us.